Thursday, February 5, 2009

On local happenings

Right now it is raining. Pouring really, and it has been for a while. We are currently in the rainy season, which lasts until about May. This means intense rain, though it has not been very regular in our neck of the woods here. Other places to the east are getting three centimeters a day or something. Now, our field director, Jocie, warned us that when it rains goats will look for any kind of shelter. Wait, let me back up a bit. We live in Opuwo, which is above the Red Line. This line stretches across the country, with checkpoints at every road. Above said line there is uncontrolled animal migration. This translates into donkeys, goats, and pigs that tend to hang out wherever they want, including outside my window. Long story short, I am a bit worried that I will come home someday to find a group of goats sitting outside the door to my room. They can access this door because the long, creepy hallway that leads there is open to the public since the door at the other end broke off its hinges when I opened it once. This is basically a metaphor for how things go here.
On to the positive things. Carmen and I get to hang out a lot, and even venture into the exciting world of cooking. My current mission is to buy a bread pan. We’ve met some interesting people, including random people at shabeens (one-room side of the road bar things) that just want to ask about America and such. While teaching is stressful for me, there have been some good lessons highlighting the last couple weeks. And I don’t have any life-threatening diseases that I know of yet. Yay.
More news to come as it happens, and maybe some photos too. The sunsets are unbelievable here, I will try to capture them. Bye bye for now.

No comments: