Saturday, December 5, 2009

Typical Namibian Farewell

Today is Saturday, and I leave Opuwo for the last time Monday morning. It feels extremely weird, though I know it's stranger for my Peace Corps friends that have been here for two years. And with departures comes goodbyes...

All year, there had been rumors about how the national election would affect the school calender. Mostly, everyone thought we would finish early to allow people to travel home to vote. However, a few months ago all the schools in the country received a memo from the Ministry of Education stating explicitly that the schools would not close early, they would close on Dec. 4th as planned.

So this Monday rolls around, and I figure I have a solid 5 days in which to say goodbye to learners, give away gifts, etc. Monday morning at about 11 am, all the teachers were informed that a decision had been made: the kids would write their last exam on Tuesday, not Friday, and be sent home. Not sure what happened to the edict from the ministry, but ah well.

Tuesday, the kids wrote their last exam, and were sent to the hostel to pack their things. It was utter chaos, as usual. Most of the kids just started leaving to go to the hike point to catch a ride home. About an hour later, the bell was rung so we could have an assembly, and maybe a third of the kids were still around. I got to say goodbye and thank you to this small crowd, and some of the kids simply waved as they walked away. Not quite the farewells I had planned. Alas, this is typical of the way things happen here: very little notice is given in regards to important decisions...

Last night, the teachers at my school had an end of the year/farewell party. It was excellent, lots of fun, and I had my fill of goat meat. Pictures of that event I will try to post soon; I got to see some great formal Herero dresses.

By next Thursday I will be in Cape Town. Then home for Christmas and snow. I am excited to travel, and sad to say goodbye to my home and friends from the past year. As I said to the members of my school, the best I can say to them is simply thank you.

No comments: